Summarizing my first GenCon, and I picked a good one. It was the 50th Anniversary! >80,000 attendees over ~5days (though I only had Saturday to explore). In short, I'll be back next year and will spend more time. Three posts cover my experience:
Some First Impressions
- 80,000 fellow "nerds" congregate to play game
- Somehow several hotels, an entire convention center, and an entire stadium are filled with events... and it is all family friendly. Strollers and kids abound.
- Lots of cosplay
- The Exhibit Hall is incredible.
- Play Areas: people are playing board games everywhere! Miniatures, Magic, Catan, you name it. Crazy.
- I got to fist-bump a Dark Souls statue
- Lot's of big game designers and authors here. Cripes...is that Margaret Weis chilling in front of me?
- If you Kickstart games like I do, you'll want to come here.
- Never had a chance to even visit the authors/artist alley, the stadium event, etc.
- One day is not enough
- Next year, I'll stay longer